Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Day 3 -11

http://disclosureverizon.com/

3/31 - 4/8 by Lauren

I'd like to preface by saying that a LOT has changed since I wrote my first entry on the evening of day two. I wish I could say that what I refer to as 'changed' in the last couple of weeks is that they've been extremely eventful and exciting.. Lol.. Okay, it's been lovely in many ways, its just that the speed at which I am accepting this new lifestyle is not quite as propelling as I'd hoped. I'm not sure if I expected to assimilate automatically as much as I just didn't really think about it all that much. You may think that it might be crazy to make a decision to leave your life for 5 months without really thinking.. And I must admit I don't really have a rebuttal. The things I know: I love hiking. I needed a monumental change. So I suppose this equaled: Appalachian Trail?!

Well instead of over analyzing my thoughts I will just jump into the highlights of the last 2 weeks. ;) Day 3: I woke up refreshed and feeling quite wonderful. We heard that a storm might be headed our way so we packed in a way that left our rain gear accessible. After hiking 2-3 miles it did in fact start to rain so we stopped at a shelter to reassess. Bo decided to take the day off from hiking and set up camp right then and there. Vic, Eric, and I decided to cover ourselves in our rain shells and truck on.

The best thing about Gor-tex rain gear is that it DOES keep that rain out. The not so great= it causes you to sweat and squeak and feel like you are looking at the outside world through a plastic rain-proof bubble. :p ..By the end of the hike all of the previous feelings of bliss, energy, and oneness with my surroundings was GONE.. Rudely replaced with aching muscles, lack of breath, and an enormous yearning for a nice hot bath and the newest episode of Grey's Anatomy.

By the time we reached the highest peak of the day's mileage I literally could not place one foot in front of the other. To this moment I cannot fathom what changed so much in one day; how I could go from so happy and free to a wet crippled mess. The boys could certainly see how much pain I was in. It would've been obvious to anyone. I'm almost certain that they were only able to recognize me from my purple rain jacket and not the angry, sputtering, hunched old Gollum like creature that was huffing up the last steps of the hill.

Eric seemed worried (or perhaps scared) so he offered to set up camp right there on the top of the peak. At that point I really should have dove into my tent and prayed for sleep but instead I decided I would read a little to take my mind off the exhausting day. As soon as my book mentioned how often trees fall over and crush campers (poor choice of reading material- I know) I was wide awake and counting all of the many trees surrounding our tent, complete with muddy, sopping ground, which to me meant muddy soppy trees roots ready to let go of all that was life. Oh goodness, that was a hard night. The next day I awoke FAR from refreshed and we continued our hike after a couple of hours of sun-drying our gear.

It really was a miraculous view to wake up to. Eric and Vic had selected quite the spot. I only wish I could have been in the state of mind to appreciate such a thing. The hike that day (or should I say my mood) pretty much mirrored the day prior. My strength had been replaced by muscles that didn't even feel sore, they felt INJURED. Now I am aware that I am not actually injured, however I really wish someone could tell the pain signals to my brain. Would this rude awakening happen to anyone who is suddenly carrying a cement block and hiking about 6 hours a day MORE than my favorite Palos Verdes day hike? Well, perhaps.. But Eric and Vic seem FINE. Better than fine even. Elated, happy, joyful.. Joking and playing around every chance they get.. Hmm. ;)

We reached Neels Gap the night and opted for a cabin. One day to reenergize lifted my outlook incredibly. The next morning we took our backpacks down to the local store to once and for all find out the weight we've actually been lugging around with us. Keep in mind this is after we've dropped quite a bit of weight through a bounce box and simply sending items back home. Vic's pack= 44 pounds. Eric's pack 49 pounds. My pack= 42 pounds. FORTY-TWO pounds??!!! How is it possible that my pack is only 7 pounds lighter than my boyfriend, Eric's pack, who is 60 pounds heavier than me? As a small female at 108 pounds, I was instantly, and some might say unwarrantedly, ANGRY. In my mind I started blaming all the extra weight on Eric's over eating (he does NOT over eat as much as I tend to under eat- I was obviously being irrational) and furiously charged ahead on that days hike for the first couple of hours until the anger wore off and I could actually discuss it with him like a normal person. lol! That night, however, I went to sleep in a much better state of mind. Vic found a lovely spot on top of hill and lookout point. We made a huge fire and although it was cold and windy the fire and movement kept us warm until bed time. I fell asleep with the intention of healed aches and pains and a new start.

We awoke to .. an ice storm. I keep making fun of Eric when he describes it as this, as it sounds so melodramatic, but this really was what it was. Eric and I huddled in our tent for an hour or so debating on whether or not to leave our cozy sleeping bags. Finally Eric decided there was no way that we could venture out in the freezing sleeting storm. He momentarily stepped out to talk with Vic, saying the weather outside was as bad as it seemed, and then coming back 2 minutes later saying Vic was already packed up and there was no turning back. I had already mentally prepared myself for the worst so I bravely stepped outside the tent's protective shelter.

It was not AS bad.. It was much worse. Picture the scene from Forest Gump when Lieutenant Dan is egging on the storm with all its wind, rain, and furry.. but now picture ice. OKAY.. I may be reaching, but it FELT like that to ME. I happen to be a California girl and am accustomed scarves and gloves on a 70 degree day, if I must tell the truth. Eric and Vic broke down the tent in record time and we were off into the freezing wind of the A.T. Instead of going over every moment of the day's hike, I will just say that it was filled with a lot of cursing (at the weather), slipping, and miserable energy. This time it was not just me, but Eric as well, and I must admit that it made me feel better that we were both finally on the same page! Haha! At one point I could have sworn I had frostbite on my fingers (my gloves had completely soaked through) and I'm pretty sure I heard Eric mutter, "I think my shoulder is broken". The misery of that day actually kept us together, while Vic gallivanted off like it was 80 degrees at the Spring Fair.

We ended up finding Vic at a shelter about 7 miles down the trail, happily drinking a hot spicy concoction he had cooked over his camp stove. So far it seems weather just does not affect him? Eric and I jumped into our tent as fast as it was up but not before learning some helpful tips from some fellow hikers like using socks for hand gloves in desperation, and setting up the entire tent in the shelter and then picking it up to move it outside in the rain. Now I realize that this day could've been anything I wanted it to be and I really am coming to terms with not allowing pain and the cold reflect how I'm feeling. Even in the harsh reality of pushing myself as hard and as fast as I could hike in a very uncomfortable environment, it really was a very beautiful day. Ice was frozen to every tree of the forest and gave the woods a very surreal beauty.

The next morning was beautiful and sunny. Eric and I slept in a bit and spent hours hang drying our wet clothes, mats, and gear. The air was chilly but the sun raised our spirits 100%. We sped through our hike with seemingly endless energy. It was a wonderful day. After clouds there really is sunshine. I literally had the song running through my head, "the sun will come out tomorrow.. Lalala"! Funny how weather can affect one's mood so exponentially. Or perhaps it was mostly the comparison of the two days. Whatever it was, it was wonderful. This outlook has seemed to stick. It has been a beautiful last couple of days and I have enjoyed them to there fullest. Sure, my muscles still ache. My energy tops off at around 7 miles and I start to completely lose it (emotionally and physically) but I feel that I am getting stronger. I know I have not developed my 'trail legs' YET and that everyday will have many challenges but will also include a stronger version of myself. Well.. Here's to hoping.. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lauren,

    I'm loving these blog posts and I'll be following your adventure. Just remember when your legs are sore at mile 6 1/2 that your journey is inspiring others.

    -Barry

    ReplyDelete